“Sitting is the new smoking"
The effects of sitting too long
Have Myofitness come out to your company and help your employees be more productive with less side effects
These facts are from reputable sources like Mayo clinic, Harvard Medical and others.
Most People sit between 8 and 15 hours a day and that impacts our body’s metabolic system:
1. Our metabolism slows down 90 percent after 30 minutes of sitting.
2.Weight gain mostly in your rear. The enzymes that move the bad fat from your arteries to your muscles, where it can get burned off, slow down.
3. Varicose veins: Sitting for long periods of time can cause blood to pool in the legs.
4. Deep Vein Thrombosis: This is a medical emergency that can lead to major complications or even death.
5. Bad back, weak and tight legs, hips and glutes
6. Stiff shoulders & neck from being hunched over all day.
7. Anxiety and depression: This could be because the mental health benefits of fitness are lacking when one spends their days sitting
8. The muscles in your lower body are turned off. After two hours, good cholesterol drops 20percent.
9. Prolonged sitting increases the risk of developing several serious illnesses from obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, depression and the cascade of health illnesses and everyday malaise that come from what scientists have named sitting disease.
The sooner in life we build good, healthy habits, the easier it is to keep them and stay as healthy as possible.
You burn 30% more calories when you’re standing than when you’re sitting. It’s not a huge amount, but it adds up over time and contributes to weight control, says Dr. Lee.