Best tips from a trainer with 25 years experience to lose weight and keep it off this year
January 11, 2019
- Hire a professional trainer at least once a month to keep changing your workouts and monitoring your nutrition. You don't try and fix your own car, why try and fix your body?
- Use the free app called My Fitness Pal and log in every calorie you eat. Do not eat more than 100 grams of carbs a day, that isn't too low. The Keto diet has you under 50 grams a day. Shoot for 80-100 grams of protein a day and shoot for 50-80 grams of fat a day. No deli meats. These ranges depend on if you are male, female, very active or not too active. This is another reason to consult a professional to help.
- Use a heart rate monitor when you workout and try to burn 600-800 calories in a 45 minute workout, do not stop until you do hit 800 calories no matter how long it takes you.
- Use an interval timer and set it for 45 seconds of work and 20 seconds rest. Do 3 sets of each exercise. EX: Jog on a treadmill on at least 2% elevation for 45 seconds, rest for 20 seconds, then do knee or toe push-ups for 45 seconds. Repeat this 3 times each exercise. Do this for your back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, abs and quads.
- Weigh yourself every day I don't care what other magazines say. This keeps you more accountable and you can make adjustments with workouts and diet faster. Put your weight on your fridge and write down your weight every day, when its in your site, it's always on your mind.
- When you get home from work DO NOT SIT DOWN!!! Go right to the gym in your home or down the street and eat after your done. Suck it up girlscout, I don't care what kind of day you had or how tired you are, you always feel better after a hard workout.
- If you are not dying, you are not trying. You have to be sweating and your heart rate up to where you are huffing and puffing during the whole workout.
- If you work really hard and are doing what I said above, you only need to workout for 45 minutes 3-4 days a week.
- Wear earbuds, it's the universal sign that says I'm busy losing my ass so don't talk to me
- Do your cardio and strength exercises together, do not do cardio first and weights after. Too much science behind that to state here.
- Keep the junk food out of the house, don't tell me it's for the kids, they shouldn't be eating that crap either. This just teaches them poor eating habits and makes them get picked last in gym class. There are many other psychological issue with kids and being overweight that is well beyond my scope of practice.
- Gluten free does not mean carb free, carbs are carbs and love to be stored as fat.
- NO MORE EXCUSES, JUST SUCK IT UP!!!
What are the most important reasons for losing weight? here are a couple.
How about sticking around and enjoying your kids, grand kids, parents and friends with a high quality of life. You can't do much in a chair, walker or cane.
Some other good reasons: Remember how your spouse used to look at you when you were in good shape? Discipline will get you back there again.
If you care, I am offering 2 weeks free access to my custom online personal training and nutrition. If you sign up after, I guarantee your weight loss goals or your money back.